2014/08/16

TV shows and dramas


These days, shows and dramas are such a huge thing. And I noticed many differences in these productions, depending on the country they are from.

USA

As a French, it's normal for me to watch a lot more American TV shows than any others. It may sound weird but American productions are way more popular than French ones in France. So, once we turn on our TVs most of the time we watch American shows and movies! We even have this "24 hours thing": a show is aired in the USA and we can watch it on TV 24 hours later. The first one that comes to my mind while talking about it is Game of Thrones because I usually watch it with my Dad. (True story: I watch a show with quite a lot of scenes including sex with my father.. Is that weird ?)
Among the shows I watch, my favorites are definitely Teen Wolf (hot cast, great storyline, but I wouldn't mind if there was a topless shot with Dylan O'Brien.. Really, I wouldn't.), Game of Thrones (I don't even know what to say about this one, except : BEST SHOW EVER !!!) and The Walking Dead. (Just hoping they won't kill Glenn, I almost cried when I read the comics. No joke, I really did got teary...)
If I had to list all of the American series I watch... Let's do it !! 
Game of Thrones, Teen Wolf, The Walking Dead, Pretty Little Liars, Chasing Life, Finding Carter, Young & Hungry, The Fosters, Once Upon a Time, Elementary, Modern Family, Devious Maids, Baby Daddy, ...
I'm sure I forgot some but the list is pretty long already, isn't it ?
When I think about American shows, I think of the American dreams (from the overseas point of view), for us, the American dream is highschool, school buses, prom, dating, average(=perfect) family, ... 

Great Britain

I haven't watched many British shows but there is definitely one that caught my attention : Skins. Not gonna lie, I discovered it randomly while zapping from channel to channel on TV a couple of years ago. As I really liked the episode I saw (I remember it was Cassie's episode). So.. As an average person I down... watched it in streaming !
When it comes to British productions, I feel like it's just.. reality, there's no fantasy, nothing added to make it a little more perfect, it's sort of like... vomit: it goes out in a way, you don't have the choice, it's here, like that, and it's great ! It's life ! (Weird comparison, I know, but it's the first thing that came to my mind)
The one thing that I love about British people is their accent. It's really nice to listen to, it sounds very high-ranking like, and it's just sexy ! (It may be one of the reasons why I love Game of Thrones that much... Okay, I'll just say it : Kit Harington is hot as hell !)
Maybe I should start watching Doctor Who ?

France

Series with episodes of 5 minutes are kinda popular in France, but maybe it is because these are only funny shows, stuff that happens in our everyday life
I remember a show that was aired a few years ago, it was called "Un Gars Une Fille" (A guy, a girl) and it just showed a married couple in funny situations, arguing with each other, ...
Now there is an "updated version" of the show, called "Scènes de Ménages". It's the same storyline, but it involves different couples: young couples, middle-age couples and even an old one (they are the funniest by the way).
But of course we also have series with 20 minutes and longer episodes but I personnally don't like any of them. They are just bad quality remake of American shows, are they just don't make any sense... Joséphine l'ange guardien : I think the title says everything, Joséphine is a guardian angel coming to earth to save people.. The only thing coming to my mind when I think about it is WTF!!?
It's just my opinion, but I think French productions are boring. The only one thing I'm proud of when it comes to French series/movies is The Intouchables.

South Korea

If I had to describe Korean dramas to someone who never watched one, I would say that there are 3 themes they like to pick : History, love story and family. I guess people are kind of afraid of watching Asian productions, but I don't get why. Are they not open-minded enough ? Or do they just don't give any shit about other cultures/countries ? I don't know. But there does be a few details that bother me, excluding the fact that they only have episodes of 1h. First, it takes forever to introduce the characters and the storyline. Second, there is basically no skinship, it could be compared to Twilight actually (most of the interraction scenes are composed of stares, it takes at least 4 or 5 episodes to see a hug, let's not even talk about a kiss). But I have to admit there has very recently been more dramas involving sex, not explicitly of course. And third, the clichés about foreigners (non-Asian people). I know South Korea is still a pretty preservative country, but showing to the younger generation foreigners as dumb people or sex/drug addicts is not cool at all !
But all that doesn't mean I don't like them, I enjoy watching Korean dramas when I'm looking for something bubbly, cute and innocent, I always end up thinking the main actor or the bad guy is hot so it keeps me watching until the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment